Tesla cars are known for their sleek and modern design, and one way to enhance this aesthetic is by tinting the windows. But window tinting isn’t just for looks; it offers many practical benefits. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll look closer at Tesla window tinting and everything you need to know about it.
What is Tesla Window Tinting?
Why Should You Get Tesla Window Tinting?
Window tinting can be put on a Tesla for the same kinds of reasons that it can be put on any other kind of car. There are several reasons why tinted windows are good for car owners, such as:
- Reduces the heat inside a car
- Reduces the amount of glare on the road.
- Gives a car a sleek and attractive look.
- Gives the driver and passengers more privacy.
- Keeps car seats from getting faded
Your Tesla experience with perfect privacy via Tesla window tint, backed by the confidence of TESLA’S BATTERY WARRANTY guarantee, all seamlessly integrated into the unique TESLA DASHBOARD for a full driving package.
Many people who own cars want to get more protection from UV rays and make their cars less hot. Some drivers just like the way tinted windows look and like having more privacy and less glare.
Even though Teslas are already better equipped than many other cars to deal with these problems, they aren’t perfect.
Lamisafe laminated glass, which is what Teslas use for their windows and roof glass, does block UV light right out of the box. The side windows of a Tesla, on the other hand, are usually made of tempered glass and don’t have any UV protection.
Getting car window tinting put on a Tesla can be a good idea if you want to see the real benefits of window tinting, like reducing UV rays, glare, and heat.
Benefits of Ceramic Tesla Window Tint for Your Tesla
Window tinting can provide numerous benefits for your Tesla car, including the following:
1. Protection from UV rays: Window tinting blocks up to 99% of harmful UV rays, which can cause skin damage and fade your car’s interior upholstery.
2. Heat reduction: Tesla window tint can reduce the heat entering the car, keeping it cooler and more comfortable during hot weather.
3. Increased privacy: Tinted windows make it harder for people outside the car to see inside, increasing privacy and security.
4. Glare reduction: Tinted windows can reduce glare from the sun or other bright lights, improving visibility and reducing eye strain.
5. Improved aesthetics: Window tinting gives your car a sleek, stylish look and enhances its overall appearance.
6. Energy efficiency: By reducing the amount of heat entering your car, tinted windows can help reduce your car’s energy consumption, saving you money on fuel costs.
Overall, window tinting is a cost-effective and practical way to improve your Tesla car’s comfort, privacy, and appearance and protect against the sun’s harmful UV rays.
How to Choose the Best Window Tint for Your Tesla
Tesla window tinting might be difficult but it can significantly enhance your driving experience. Here are some things to think about while picking out the perfect tint for your Tesla’s windows:
- Local Laws: Check your state or local laws on window tinting before choosing a tint. Many states have specific regulations on how dark you can go with your tint, and failing to comply with these laws can lead to fines and even legal trouble.
- Type of Tint: There are several types of window tint available, such as ceramic, carbon, and dyed. Ceramic tint is the most expensive but offers the best heat rejection, while carbon tint is a mid-range option that provides both heat rejection and privacy. A dyed tint is the most affordable but is less effective in rejecting heat.
- Heat Rejection: The main reason for Tesla window tint is to reduce heat buildup inside the car. Look for tints with a high heat rejection rate, making your vehicle more comfortable and saving you money on air conditioning.
- UV Protection: Exposure to UV rays can cause damage to your skin and fade the interior of your car. Look for tints that offer high UV protection, which will block out harmful UV rays and keep your car’s interior looking new for longer.
- Brand and Warranty: Choose a reputable brand for your window tint, as this will ensure the quality and durability of the tint. Look for a brand with a warranty to know your investment is protected.
- Installation: Finally, ensure your window tint is installed professionally. Poor installation can lead to bubbles, peeling, and reduced effectiveness of the tint. Look for an installer with experience working on Teslas and using high-quality materials.
In summary, when choosing the best Tesla window tint, consider local laws, the type of tint, heat rejection, UV protection, brand and warranty, and professional installation.
Window Tinting Laws and Regulations for Tesla Owners
The laws and regulations on window tinting vary from state to state, so it’s essential to check the specific laws in your state before installing tints on your Tesla’s windows. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
1. Visible Light Transmission (VLT): VLT refers to the visible light passing through the tinted windows. Most states have laws that specify the minimum allowable VLT percentage for each window, which ranges from 50% to 35% for the front windshield and front side windows, and 35% to 20% for the rear side windows and rear windshield.
2. Tint Reflection: Some states have laws limiting the amount of reflection the tint can cause. The maximum allowable reflection percentage typically ranges from 25% to 35%.
3. Medical Exemptions: Some states allow medical exemptions for window tinting. Suppose you have a medical condition that requires you to limit your exposure to sunlight or UV radiation. In that case, you may obtain a medical exemption for window tinting that allows you to exceed the legal VLT limits.
4. Inspection and Enforcement: Most states require that tinted windows pass an inspection for compliance with the VLT and reflection limits. Failure to comply with state regulations can result in fines and even the impounding of your vehicle.
It’s important to note that laws and regulations on window tinting can change, so it’s always a good idea to check your local Department of Motor Vehicles or law enforcement agency for the most up-to-date information.
Increase Privacy and Security with Tesla Window Tinting
Tesla window tinting can increase privacy and security in several ways. Here are some ways in which tinted windows can help:
1. Increased Privacy: Window tinting can increase privacy by reducing the visibility of the interior of your car. Tinted windows make it more difficult for others to see inside, which can help protect your valuables and give you greater peace of mind when driving.
2. Reduced Glare: Tinted windows can also reduce glare from the sun or other bright lights, improving visibility and making driving safer.
3. UV Protection: Window tinting protects from harmful UV rays. Not only does this protect your skin and eyes from damage, but it also helps to prevent the interior of your car from fading or cracking due to sun exposure.
4. Increased Security: Tinting windows increases security by making it more difficult for thieves to break into your car. Tinted windows are more difficult to shatter, making it more challenging for thieves to access your vehicle.
5. Enhanced Comfort: It can improve your overall driving experience by keeping the car cooler and more comfortable. Tinted windows reduce heat buildup inside the vehicle, making it more comfortable for you and your passengers.
Protect Your Tesla’s Interior with Window Tinting
Tesla window tinting can also protect your car’s interior. Here are some of the methods by which tinted windows can help:
1. UV Protection: Window tinting can block up to 99% of harmful UV rays that can damage your car’s interior. Exposure to UV rays can cause fading, cracking, and other types of damage to your dashboard, seats, and other parts of your car’s interior. By blocking UV rays, tinted windows can help to prevent this damage and keep your vehicle looking new for longer.
2. Heat Reduction: Tinted windows can also reduce the heat that builds up inside your car. This can help to protect your car’s interior from heat damage, which can cause materials to warp, crack, or fade over time.
3. Increased Comfort: Tinted windows can make driving your car more comfortable. By reducing heat buildup inside the car, tinted windows can help keep you and your passengers more relaxed and comfortable, even on hot days.
4. Increased Privacy: Tinted windows can also provide increased privacy, which can help to deter theft and protect your valuables. Tinted windows make it more difficult for others to see inside your car, which can make it less likely that someone will break in.
5. Reduced Glare: Finally, tinted windows can reduce glare from the sun or other bright lights, improving visibility and making driving safer.
Best Window Tint Brands for Tesla Cars
Several reputed window tint manufacturers have products compatible with Tesla vehicles. Brands of premium window tinting products for Tesla vehicles include the following.
- 3M: 3M is a well-known brand producing high-quality window tint films. They offer various options perfect for Tesla cars, including their Crystalline series, which provides superior heat reduction and UV protection.
- SunTek: It’s another famous brand producing high-quality window tint films. They offer various options, including their CarbonXP series, providing superior heat rejection and a sleek appearance.
- LLumar: LLumar is a well-trusted brand offering various window tinting solutions. They have multiple options perfect for Tesla cars, including their Ceramic series, which provides superior heat rejection and UV protection.
- Huper Optik: Huper Optik is a premium brand producing high-quality window tint films. Their Ceramic series offers superior heat rejection and a clear appearance, making it an excellent choice for Tesla car owners.
- XPEL: XPEL is a famous brand offering high-quality window tint films. Their XR Plus line boasts excellent heat rejection, UV protection, and a transparent look that doesn’t block the driver’s line of sight.
DIY vs. Professional Tesla Window Tinting: Pros and Cons
Regarding Tesla window tinting, you have two options: DIY or professional installation. Both options have pros and cons; the choice ultimately depends on your budget, skill level, and preferences. Here are some pros and cons of each option:
DIY Window Tinting: Pros:
- Lower cost: DIY window tinting is usually much cheaper than professional installation.
- Flexibility: You can choose your window tint film and install it on your schedule.
- Satisfaction of doing it yourself: If you enjoy DIY projects, installing window tint can be a fun and rewarding experience.
- Difficulty: Window tinting can be challenging and time-consuming, especially if you don’t have experience. It can also be challenging to achieve a professional-looking result.
- Risk of damage: If you make a mistake during installation, you may damage your car’s windows or the tint film.
- Warranty issues: If you install the window tint yourself, you may void your car’s warranty, which could be costly in the long run.
Professional Window Tinting: Pros:
- Expert installation: Professional installers have the experience and tools to install window tint quickly and efficiently, ensuring a high-quality result.
- Warranty: Most professional window tinting services offer a warranty that covers any issues that may arise.
- Convenience: You don’t have to worry about buying materials, figuring out the installation process, or making mistakes.
- Higher cost: Professional window tinting is generally more expensive than DIY installation.
- Scheduling: You’ll need to schedule an appointment and take your car to the installer, which may be inconvenient.
- Limited choice: Professional installers may only offer a limited selection of window tint films.
Overall, both DIY and professional window tinting have their advantages and disadvantages. If you have experience and confidence in your ability to install window tint, DIY may be a good option. However, professional installation may be the better choice if you want a high-quality result without the risk of damage or warranty issues.
Cost of Tesla Window Tinting
The cost of Tesla window tinting can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of tint film used, the size and number of windows to be tinted, and the service provider’s location. However, on average, the cost of window tinting for a Tesla car can range from $200 to $800.
For example, a primary tint job using standard non-reflective tint film on a Tesla Model 3 with four side windows and a rear window may cost around $200 to $300. However, an excellent tint job using higher-quality ceramic or carbon tint film that offers better heat rejection and UV protection can cost upwards of $500 to $800.
It’s significant to note that some states have regulations on how much tinting is allowed on cars, so be sure about your local laws before deciding on the type of tint to use. Additionally, it’s also recommended to have the tinting done by a reputable and experienced professional to ensure the best results and avoid any potential issues such as bubbling or peeling.
Maintaining Tesla Window Tint: Dos and Don’ts
Here are some dos and don’ts for maintaining the Tesla window tint:
- Wait for at least a few days before rolling down the windows after the tinting to allow the film to adhere fully to the glass.
- Use a soft, microfiber cloth to clean the tinted windows. It will help avoid scratching or damaging the tint film.
- Use a mild soap solution or a recommended tint cleaner to clean the windows. Avoid using ammonia-based or abrasive cleaners that can damage the tint film.
- Use a squeegee or a microfiber towel to remove excess water after cleaning the windows to avoid water spots or streaks.
- Park your car in a shaded area or use a windshield sun shade to protect the tinted windows from direct sunlight.
- Don’t roll down the windows immediately after tinting. Give the film enough time to adhere to the glass.
- Don’t use harsh or abrasive cleaners on the tinted windows. These can damage the film and reduce its effectiveness.
- Don’t use rough or abrasive materials, such as paper towels or brushes, to clean the windows, as these can scratch or damage the film.
- Don’t use ammonia-based cleaners on the tinted windows. These can cause the tint film to fade or discolor over time.
- Don’t use tinted window cleaners with ammonia, vinegar, or citrus-based ingredients, as these can cause the tint to deteriorate.
By following these dos and don’ts, you can help ensure your Tesla window tint lasts long and retains its effectiveness.
Local laws on Tesla window tinting:
The laws on Tesla window tinting vary by state and country, so you must check your local regulations before getting your windows tinted. In general, most states restrict how dark the tint can be on specific windows, such as the front windshield and front side windows.
These restrictions are in place to ensure that drivers have a clear view of the road and surrounding areas. In some states, medical exemptions are available for individuals who need darker tints for medical reasons. It’s also worth noting that Tesla offers factory-installed window tinting options for their vehicles, which may comply with local regulations.
Tips to Remember When Tinting Tesla Windows
When putting on Tesla window tints, there are a lot of things to keep in mind. Here are some things you should remember.
Avoid Installing Metalized Tinting
When getting window tinting for a Tesla, it’s important to remember that metalized window films and transitional window films are not good choices.
Metalized window films tend to mess up modern technology and can make it hard for cellphones and GPS devices to work. Because Tesla depends so much on technology, it’s best not to use any kind of metalized tint on your car.
Transitional window film is a newer type of window film that should also not be used on a Tesla. For this kind of window film to work, UV light is needed. It goes from being dark to clear based on how much sunlight it gets.
Because some Tesla models will already have Lamisafe laminated glass, this kind of film won’t work as well as it should. Because it won’t get enough UV light, it might not change from clear to dark as well as it should.
Plan to Use Ceramic Window Tint
What should you use instead of metalized window tinting or transitional window film? Most of the time, ceramic window tint is the best choice for a Tesla.
Ceramic tinting is different from other types of window tinting because it won’t interfere with GPS or cell phone signals and won’t hurt the technology in your car.
Ceramic window tinting is a great way to tint windows because it blocks 99% of UV rays and heat. Compared to the other window tinting options, it gives you more privacy, lasts longer, and protects you better.
Ceramic window tint also comes in a lot of different colors and shades, so you can make your car look just the way you want it to.
Make Sure to Avoid Tinting Seams
Seams are something that you should never do when installing window tint.
Some shops that tint windows will use two pieces of window film instead of just one for large areas of glass. This is because many places that tint windows don’t have big rolls of window film. These are what you will need to tint the windshield or back window of a Tesla.
Make sure you only hire a window tinting company that knows what to do with Tesla cars. Without the right size roll, there will be a seam in the tinting, which can look very bad.
Make sure that the company you hire knows how to tint a Tesla correctly.
Don't Try to Do It Yourself
When tinting the windows of a Tesla, make sure to avoid making a DIY installation.
While it’s possible to install automotive window tinting on your own, it’s usually not a good idea. The window tinting process can be tricky and it can be hard to do exactly right if you don’t have a high level of experience.
Particularly since a Tesla requires extra care and attention compared to other vehicles and because they’re so valuable, it’s well worth hiring a professional when installing window tinting on yours. Hiring a skilled window tinting company will help ensure that the job gets done right and that no mistakes are made during the process.
Imran is an experienced content writer who crafts engaging and informative articles for a variety of industries. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for storytelling, Imran delivers high-quality content that resonates with readers. Whether he’s writing blog posts, social media content, or website copy, Imran is committed to delivering compelling content that drives results.